Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virginia Tech and Violence

I'm still sad. I'm sad because this is truly a recurring nightmare. A young man with mental health issues feels ostracised by a community of peers and uses violence to express what he is otherwise unable to voice. The community is a good community of people who are not prone to segregating others and have attempted to connect with the young man. It makes me think back to Erikson and the affect of society on the individual. Certainly if the immediate community is not one which promotes violence then the larger influence of society must be coming into play. We can't discount the exposure to violent attitudes and actions at many levels within our society. It is accessible everywhere. We also can't discount this country's long standing difficulties dealing with mental health issues. We don't stand alone on the world stage on any of these issues which only makes the impact on the individual even greater. Although we have anti-bullying and zero-tolerance statues and policies around the country in communities and schools, I know of incidents just this year in New Jersey where these policies have not been applied by the local or school authorities. Just look at the videos of youth violence popping up on the internet. Do you think the prosecution of those involved is stopping the violence or merely curbing the desire to post it on the net? I think that it is time to face the truth about human violence and keep the conversations on-going in the schools so that it is not put aside, overlooked and forgotten until the next school shooting.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like it can be any of our children turning into this young man. It makes me wonder if his family even supported him. As an emigrant myself, my parents were harsh about school. There was no place to talk at home about problems at school. His parents may have been from the same
school of thought.

I know that when my son comes home from school and he has been picked on, he is really hard to deal with. He is angry!


All I can do for him is to
teach him to deal with the
other people who are doing the bullying. It is a process that many youngsters have to go through. In fact, watching the process of
"growing up" through my son I've seen other children develop skills in
coping and patience.
In this world my son has to learn how not to react to every bad comment.

Also, as I have addressed
bullying issues in our
school, many times my son
has been put into an
unfavorable light, coming
away from authority knowing that it is useless to complain because "no one will do anything."
Now when he has issues with
students he hesitates to
tell me because he knows I will be calling the school.

So, understanding some of the problems the shooter faced, I don't feel it was
all his fault. In one of the tapes he said something about "garbage
being shoved down his
throat." This could have
happened or perhaps he was
referring to his education.

Even the adults that our kids come in contact with
(some of the nicest people) are toxic. They have their own beliefs that perhaps it is ok to
allow mistreatment of some children. Besides, some
adults side with a more
popular child. With all the complex interactions of many individuals, bullying is hard to prove.

April 21, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger martinofam4@comcast.net said...

Hi Anonymous ... just being the type of parent who has conversations with your son on a regular basis puts him in a good place for a long, healthy life. Being able to express yourself is very important and knowing that someone's "got your back" makes you feel safer. Together, you can survive just about anything!

April 21, 2007 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home