Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Mommy or Me

Sometimes I'm just confused. Am I Mommy or me right now? Some would say that there shouldn't be a difference, but I'd have to disagree. I love being a mommy but it is only part of who I am. There are wants and desires of mine wholly unrelated to parenthood. I cherish those but rarely find the time to follow them. My blog, for instance, is important. At least I finally took the time to create one. Now I just have to figure out how to get readers to ping. Finding additional time to research this blog thing is difficult. Learning a new subject requires time.

Time, time, time. We all would like more time.

As a mommy I'm happy and content. I willingly gave up my career to be home with my kids. I live in an area with terrific schools so I don't have to home-school but I do have to monitor their learning and support additional needs beyond the learning during the school day. On top of education is sports. I have athletic boys. I do not want couch potatoes. Practices, classes and games all require my time. My husband works a longer than usual workday and can't always help with carting the kids around. He does it when he can and will show up at a class or practice so I can take the younger son home to get ready for bed.

Shopping, cooking and cleaning all require time. You need to eat well to play hard. You need to eat well to keep up with kids 30 odd years younger than yourself. You need clean clothes and uniforms as well as creature comforts at home. Home is my lauching pad and who wants a dirty and confused lauching pad? We all pitch in and my oldest earns stars for just about anything he can do to make my job easier and his life more fruitful. We are a family and work together to get things done. The buck stops with me, though, so it's ultimately my job to get it all done for everyone else. That's where the question arises. Am I Mommy or me right now?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting words to what many of us feel on a daily basis!

April 20, 2007 2:40 PM  
Blogger martinofam4@comcast.net said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment :)

April 20, 2007 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home